Messi And Argentina Will Not Take Part In World Cup Qualifying In March

There will be no South America World Cup qualifiers in March, CONMEBOL announced that the double matchday scheduled for March has been postponed.

CONMEBOL announced this Saturday that the World Cup qualifying double header in March has been postponed.

Once again, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused international matches to be postponed and, in this case, there was supposed to be a Brazil v Argentina clash which was supposed to be exciting.

“The CONMEBOL committee have decided to postpone the Qatar 2022 World Cup double header scheduled for March. The decision comes about because the countries are unable to have all the South American players at their disposal,” CONMEBOL said on Twitter.

The organisation said they are looking at a new date to rearrange the matches; “FIFA will look at when to reschedule the matches, in co-ordination with CONMEBOL and the member associations. The different options will be studied shortly.”

Before confirmation of the postponement, there had been speculation that this action would be taken because countries like Colombia had banned flights from Brazil because of the Brazilian COVID-19 strain.

The problem was not so much the players getting over there, but the difficulty of being available for their clubs afterwards. The players would have had to quarantine for 10-14 days and that meant clubs had the right to refuse to release their players. As a result, CONMEBOL has decided to postpone the matches.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.